Parent Involvement Opportunities
Parent involvement is directly related to high student achievement. Parents and community can be involved in the education of our students in a variety of ways. Contact the office if you are interested in helping. Some examples are:
• tutor a child or a small group of students.
• read a story to a child or a small group of students.
• make instructional materials.
• assist students who are learning at a computer.
• share your expertise in music, dance, poetry, storytelling, computers, etc. share your cultural, travel or career experiences.
Other ways a parent can get involved is by participating in the Parent Leadership Academy or the School Site Council:
Parent Leadership Academy (PLA)
The Parent Leadership Academy meets once a month. It supports the school in various fundraising activities and by providing enriching experiences for all students. Each parent is automatically a member of the Parent Council. The elected officers comprise the Executive Committee.
School Site Council (SSC)
The major role of the SSC is to aid in the planning, evaluating and assessing of the School Based Coordinated Program (SBCP). The SBCP is directly related to the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) federal mandates. The SSC is composed of 3 parents, members of the staff and the Educational Provost.