SDGVA is a free public charter school serving grades TK-8th
Currently all applications for next school year 22-23 will be placed on our waitlist. As space becomes available we will contact those families on the waitlist. You can apply here.
Dates to Remember for Interested Families 2022-2023 School Year
Wednesday February 16, 2022 6:00PM-7:00PM
Wednesday April 6, 2022 6:00PM-7:00PM
Expanded Traditional Kindergarten
We are currently exploring all avenues for SDGVA to be able offer expanded TK for the 2022-2023 school year. We will be expanding the TK window for students who turn 5 by February 2, 2023.
Open Application Period
January 11, 2022 though April 7, 2022
All applications/intent to enroll forms must be submitted during this time to be eligible for the lottery. Applications will still be accepted after this period, but they will be placed on the waitlist.
Wednesday April 13, 2022 at 9:00am
If more students apply then there is space available in each grade we will a lottery to see which students receive a space and the order of the waitlist.
Registration/Enrollment Period for Accepted Students
Monday April 18, 2022 through Continuous
Accepted students will need to complete all registration/enrollment paperwork before being able to attend the 1st day of school.
Enrollment Steps for New Students
Step 1. Attend an Informational Tour (Optional)
(See dates above)
Step 2. Complete Application/Intent to Enroll Form (Required)
All interested applicants must complete an application/intent to enroll form.
*Students applying for Kindergarten must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2022
*Students applying for Transitional Kindergarten (TK) must turn 5 years old between September 2, 2022-February 2nd, 2023
Please make sure to retain login information for your SchoolMint account. Your SchoolMint account will be used to submit your intent to enroll form, check your status, update or make changes to information, and submit additional information as requested.
Step 3. Preference Verification (Required)
For families who indicate on their Application form that they qualify for an enrollment preference/priority they must provide documentation to the office by the end of the open application period. Failure to provide documentation within this time frame will result in the preference/priority being removed.
- Student has sibling who currently attends SDGVA or is a child of a staff member, or founding member of SDGVA
- Student qualifies for free or reduced lunch based on NSLP guidelines
- Student lives within one of the following zip codes: 92102, 92105, 92113, 92114, 92115, 92139
- Student lives within the boundaries of San Diego Unified School District SDUSD School Finder
Step 4. Lottery
If we receive more applications than open space available we hold a lottery to determine who is offered a space and who is placed on the waitlist. Students will be placed on the waitlist in accordance of any preferences and their number on the waitlist may change if applicants with a higher preference applies or if the sibling of a waitlisted student has been accepted.
Step 5. Registration/Enrollment Paperwork (Required)
The following items will be requested to be completed upon acceptance of enrollment offer:
5 business days are given to complete these items from the date of request.
- Online (SchoolMint): Registration/Enrollment Form
- Online (SchoolMint): Emergency Card & Pickup Authorization
- Online (SchoolMint): Technology Acceptable Use Agreement
- Online (SchoolMint): Media Release Form
- Online (SchoolMint): Walking Field Trip Permission Slip
The following items will be requested to be completed in early July or at the time an offer is accepted if the offer is made after the July timeframe. 7 business days are given to complete these items from the date of request.
- Paper: Health & Dental Examination Forms (TK, K, or new to California students only)
- Paper: Original Birth Certificate or Passport
- Paper: Immunization Records (see below for immunizations needed)
- Paper: Proof of Residency Form (SDG&E, Cable, Home Phone, Water, or Lease Agreement)
- Paper: Alternative Household Income Form
If applicable the following documents are required:
- English Learner Documents (Copy of recent ELPAC scores)
- Special Education Documents (Most current IEP, Most current 504 Plan, Psych. Ed Evaluation)
Immunization (Shot) Requirements
State law requires that all students under age 18 years, pre-kindergarten through grade 12, be immunized against certain diseases unless they are exempt for medical reasons. At the time of registration, SDGVA is required to have proof that your child has received all currently due immunizations.
Students entering TK/Kindergarten should have:
- 5 Diphtheria, Tetanus, & Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or TD) 4 doses OK if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday. 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday
- 4 Polio (OPV or IPV) 3 doses OK if at least one was given on or after the 4th birthday
- 3 Hepatitis B
- 2 Measles, Mumps, & Rubella (MMR) 1st dose on or after 1st birthday
- 2 Varicella (Chickenpox)
For students entering 7th grade, at least 1 dose of pertussis-containing vaccine is required on or after 7th birthday.
At this time students are not required to be immunized against COVID-19 for the 2022-2023 school year. SDGVA will continue to monitor and follow any State and or local requirements regarding immunizations for COVID-19.
Charter School Complaint Notice and Form
Charter schools are not allowed to discourage a pupil from enrolling or seeking to enroll in the charter school because the pupil exhibits any characteristics such as students with disabilities, academically low-achieving, English learners, neglected or delinquent, homeless, socially economically disadvantaged, foster youth, or based on nationality, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Charter schools are not allowed to request a pupil's records before enrollment or encourage a child who is enrolled in a charter school to disenroll or transfer to another school. A parent, guardian, or pupil (18 years or older) may file a Charter School Complaint Form to the authorizing entity if they suspect the charter school is in violation of Education Code Section 47605(d)(4).
Please click here for complaint notice and form.